Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Least favorite

Yesterday, for the first time this semester, I used a light headache as an excuse to skip class. Following an exhausting discussion with my mother last night regarding my decision (which, naturally, veered off-course to the tangential subject of how I'm not eating enough), I thought I would post my scribblings from last week’s lesson to justify to myself the deliberate absence from this week's lesson:

I’m sitting in my most boring class right now – research methods. When telling my father about my course load, he mentioned that it was my most important class. If this were true, it would be super, given that now, having switched to a double masters program, I am required to take three additional courses on the topic. Sadly, I'm pretty sure it's false. Learning about research methods is important; classes on research methods are much less so. A concise, Cliffs Notes-esque summary enumerating various types of research methods, with their pros and cons, would absolutely be helpful. I just don't see why such enumeration needs to be institutionalized into a weekly lecture. And I certainly don’t see why I need to take a course whose entire syllabus consists of not talking about research methods, a course that is, instead, comprised of guest lectures dealing with peripheral issues related to a professor’s worldview, political agenda and/or decision to address a particular obscure topic. Let's tell it like it is: This is weekly, public forum of ego masturbation by an interdisciplinary group of lecturers.

Do I really have to drive to Jerusalem just for that? It seems excessive.

No comments: